Dementia Success Stories:
“How we made a difference for self and those around us AFTER diagnosis”
A dementia brain-storming project by participants of PWD Perspective newsletter
Compiled and edited by Truthful L. Kindness (yes it is legal name)
1) Label: Mr. Craig R. Hanke
2) Occupation: Retired Correctional Sergeant for the state of Wisconsin Department of Corrections
3) Location: USA, WI
4) Age at tentative diagnosis: 55
5) Year of diagnosis: 2014
6) How long for definitive diagnosis: Six Months
7) Type of dementia: Lewy Body Dementia, with early onset of Parkinson’s
8) Since diagnosis: I take pride in the fact that I am still able to function in a pretty normal cognitive mode. I realize that I can no longer do many things without assistance but I will not let this disease control me.
9) I wish my primary doctor knew way more about dementia then He actually does. He had little or no knowledge of what Lewy Body dementia was. I wish he knew how it affects me and everyone else with it individually.
10) My Neurologist knew quite a bit about dementia but not Lewy body in particular. Lewy Body was new to her. I wish she knew the person I used to be before diagnosis. In my profession, I went from receiving numerous awards, to at the end being reprimanded for things that I had no idea were happening.
11) I wish my family knew how this disease can affect me from day to day. There are some days where I “seem and act” normal. There are other days where the least little noise or action can change my whole day. The other thing is that just because I have this disease doesn’t mean I’m the “village idiot.” Some members of my family have treated me that way since being diagnosed.
12) Date: March 23, 2015
Craig is in Dementia Mentors and involved in arranging and supervising care of his mother.
* Admin issues: SHARE dementia awareness thru buttons below. If interested in receiving notice of future blog postings there is a “follow” button in the upper left corner (MS Explorer) or lower right (Safari and Chrome). Feel free to leave your thoughts in the form of comments, but please filter your comments with truthful loving kindness to all concerned. If there is an advertisement below, I have no control over what is shown. — Full legal name on record. copyright on 2015-03/23