Hello. Tru here.
Holidays, New Year, and in fact every day that has social interaction is full of greetings.
1. Greetings can be very confusing;
if you are really just saying “Hello” … then please just say “HELLO” (or Good Morning, etc),
instead of confusing me by asking a question (ie: How are you)
then being frustrated when i take your time by answering it.
2. Please don’t ask me “How have you been Lately?” (Yesterday is gone, so How should i know?)
That question first brings frustration, because reinforces the fact that i have no idea how i have been (in the past).
Then i must translate to a question that i DO have ability to answer, such as
“How are you feeling (right now)?”, or “How are you today?” 😀
3. If you ASK a question, then
be prepared for fact that it will probably take more than a few moments to compose words
translating my feelings into words.
4. If you ASK how i am doing, then
do not be offended or embarrassed by the nitty gritty that i might not be doing well at all !
i am not asking for pity or “Woe is me, send me a pity-party”.
There must be truth for meaningful relationship,
and i am trying to uphold my portion
of what i hope is, or will become, a relationship
(even if it is a very brief relationship).
If i am doing great, then that is probably what i will say,
along with some of the highlights.
If life is skating from one catastrophe to another,
then that is probably what i will say, along with some of the highlights.
5. * i am not a good conversationalist any more.
After answering your question, most likely i will be at a loss to continue the conversation.
It’s not that i am not interested or don’t enjoy your company
… i just have a difficult time transitioning into more ideas and social graces.
So please do not be offended if the conversation has elephant-sized pregnant pauses on my part.
Plenty of things that we could talk about, but i will probably not think of them,
… so the ball is in your court to keep the conversation going.
This entry in video form at >> https://youtu.be/lJriC971MdQ .
Part 1 >> https://truthfulkindness.com/2014/12/12/verbal-comprehension-strategies-1/ .
* Husband added last paragraph (#5) but i recognize its accuracy. Admin issues: SHARE dementia awareness thru buttons below. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the form of comments, but please filter your comments with truthful loving kindness to all concerned. If interested in receiving notice of future blog postings, subscriptions are available through a “follow” button in the upper left corner (MS Explorer) or lower right (Safari, Mozilla Firefox and Chrome). If there is an advertisement below, I have no control over what is shown. My own full legal name is Truthful Loving Kindness. My current diagnosis is still Mild Cognitive Impairment, but my neurologist said I am in a unique position for helping because I have “one foot in each door”. Text Copyright ©Truthful L. Kindness 2020Jan06. Tags: conversation, dementia, dementia relationship tips, greeting, PLwD, relationship .